1st INTERNATIONAL COMPOSITION COMPETITION FOR BAND 2022
“Filarmonica Imolese Bicentenary”
In 2022 Banda Musicale Città di Imola will celebrate its bicentenary, in order to increase its musical heritage, promote research and study of the repertoire for wind orchestra benishes its first International Composition competition for Band with theme:
Filarmonica Imolese Bicentenary
The competition is divided in two categories:
Composition of an original work on a free theme for Wind Orchestra, duration no longer than 10 minutes (degree of difficulty no more than 4.5)
Original composition of a march of any kind (symphonic, heroic, funeral, military, religious, etc.) (degree of difficulty 3 to 4)
- All compositions must be original, written for this occasion, in particular the dedication to Filarmonica Imolese (Banda Musicale Città di Imola) will be appreciated.
- All compositions must be unpublished, never performed in public concerts, never presented to similar contests.
- The contest is open to composers of any nationality, without age limits.
- Each competitor can partecipate with a composition for each category.
- Compositions may use any language, trend, genre or musical form.
To partecipate, composers must send to the competition secretary an email containing:
- copy of composition, in full score (PDF format), in a strictly anonymous form with no identification marks. Score must clearly and legibly indicate the title and duration of the piece. Welcome although not mandatory to send an MP3 file.
- PDF file named with composition’s title must contain:
- registration form, attached to present notice, duly completed in every part, dated and signed at the bottom;
- two pictures of the composer;
- copy of the valid identification document;
- curriculum vitae.
E-mail must be send to:
E-mail must nor exceed 20 MB.
E-mail must be send within and no later than December the 31st, 2021.
Musical staff to be considered for composition
Piccolo, Flute 1°-2°, Oboe 1°-2°,Piccolo Clarinet in Eflat, Clarinet in Bflat 1°-2° e 3°, Bass Clarinet in Bflat, Alto Sax in Eflat 1°-2°, Tenor Sax in Bflat 1°-2°, Baritone Sax in Eflat, Trumpets in Bflat 1°-2° (3rd part optional), Trombones 1°- 2°-3°, Horns in F 1°-2°-3°- 4°, Cornets in Bflat 1°-2° (3rd part opzional) or Soprano Flugelhorn soprano in Bflat 1°-2°, Euphonium 1°-2°, Tuba 1°-2°, DoubleBass, Eardrums, Percussion (drum, bass drum, cymbals, other accessories including keyboards for a total of 5 players).
- Jury will not be able to examine compositions shipped regularly but
- due to mail problems
- after the closing of the competition.
- Failure to comply with one of the above rules will result in exclusion from the Competition.
- The competition provides for a registration fee of € 25.00 to be paid to the City of Imola Music Band on the IBAN code IT83 J 05034 21002 000000229679 c/o Banco BPM – Cassa di Risparmio di Imola Via Cavour, 53 Agenzia 02811 Imola Italy, reason for payment “contributo all’Associazione Musicale Banda Musicale Città di Imola”.
- A prize of € 1000.00 will be awarded to each author of the composition judged as the winner of each category.
- Additional special prizes are under definition with sponsors and supporters.
- International Jury will be composed by 7 members:
- M° Gian Paolo Luppi (coodinator) - Composition teacher at the Bologna Conservatory, composer and director of the Filarmonica Imolese
- M° Fulvio Creux,composer, conductor, former Director of the Guardia di Finanza Band, and of the Italian Army Band
- M° Hardy Mertens Composer, Principal Conductor of bands around the world, Professor of Composition for Wind Orchestra at Fontys University of the Arts in Tilburg.
- M° Jan van Landeghem, member of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium, professor at the Brussels Conservatory and director of the Bornem Academy of Music and Dance
- M° Hisatome Tomoyuki, composer and Professor of Composition at the University of Arts and Music of Nagoya
- M° Aurelio Zarrelli, Composer and conductor, Director of the Bologna Conservatory
- One vote will be assigned by the professional representatives of the sections of the Filarmonica Imolese.
- The International Jury has the right not to award the prize if it does not judge any of the compositions received as deserving.
- The Jury also has the right to split the prize if it deems several winning compositions ex aequo.
- The Jury can also indicate those compositions that you consider worthy of mention.
- The Jury's decision is final.
- It will be the responsibility of the Artistic Direction of the Competition to report the winning composition, or others worthy of mention, to Musical Institutions, Band Directors, Band Execution Competitions, Italian and international publications specialized in the sector.
- Filarmonica Imolese will perform the winning composition in “absolute premiere” on the evening of the awards ceremony or in any case during the 2022 musical season.
- The awarding of the winners will take place on May 14, 2022 in Imola at the “Ebe Stignani” Theater, during the event organized to celebrate the Bicentenary of the Band.
- The Competition Secretariat will communicate the result of the competition via email to all participants.
- The winners will also be given timely telephone communication.
The application to participate in the competition implies the unconditional
acceptance by the competitor of this notice, as well as the consent to the use
of personal data in accordance with present law.
In the event of a dispute, the legally valid text is this Notice-Regulation in Italian, the competent authority will be the Court of BOLOGNA.
Gian Paolo Luppi
Associazione Banda Musicale Città di Imola
Via Fratelli Bandiera, 19 40026 IMOLA (Bologna) ITALIA